• AGF did not act in good faith, says SAN
• ‘Failure to appear will breach constitutional provisions’
• Malami is correct, another lawyer counters
• Minister’s advice will ridicule you, Reps caucus tell Buhari
• House leadership says it can’t compel Buhari
Following a declaration by the Attorney General and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), that the appearance of President Muhammadu Buhari before the National Assembly is discretionary, lawyers have said the development has put the Nigerian Constitution on trial.
Malami had made the statement in opposition to an invitation to the President by the House of Representatives to explain the worsening security situation in the country, among other matters.
Lawyers’ reactions came just as the leadership of the House disclosed, yesterday, that the President had not formally communicated whether he would appear before it as earlier scheduled or not. Chairman, House Committee on…
Source: Guardian Newspaper