Nine killed during attack by mysterious group on DR Congo city | The Guardian Nigeria News

30



A major raid by a previously unknown armed group on the eastern DR Congo city of Bukavu early Wednesday left six rebels and three security force members dead, authorities said, with dozens of the mysterious fighters arrested.

Numerous armed groups have been active in South Kivu province for the past quarter of a century, but the provincial capital Bukavu has not seen such an attack in years.

The Democratic Republic of Congo’s armed forces and police “killed six assailants, wounded four others, took 36 captives and recovered 14 weapons”, South Kivu Governor Theo Ngwabidje Kasi told reporters.

“We also sadly lost three members of our security forces,” he said, two police officers and a soldier.

Ngwabidje said that Bukavu, a city of more than one million people, had been attacked from 1 am by a group targeting several police stations.

“The situation is under control,” he said, adding that investigations were underway to identify the attackers.

The region’s military…



Source: Guardian Newspaper

Get the Latest Business Tenders and Contracts Information