- Lose 2 lives, 2 rocket propelled grenades, other deadly weapons
Nigerian troops came under heavy bombardment in Sambisa Forest by Boko Haram, yesterday morning, according to a statement issued by the Defence Headquarters.
However, according to the Nigerian Army, the insurgents were repelled by the Nigerian troops who were based inside the forest.
Army spokesman, Col. Sani Usman, said the troops comprised elements of 21 Brigade and the Armed Forces Special Forces, AFSF, on `Operation Crack Down.’
The insurgents launched the attack on the troops while they were on harbour for refitting, at about 1:45 a.m. on Saturday, Usman said adding that the troops followed up the attack with mopping up operations of the general area before advancing further into the forest.
Usman said two corpses of the attackers, two AK-47 rifles, two rocket propelled grenade, RPG, bombs, five rifle magazines, mortar bombs and belts of machine gun rounds were recovered from the terrorists.
He added that five soldiers were wounded as a result of mortar fired into the harbour area by the Boko Haram terrorists and were evacuated to the rear for treatment.
Usman also said troops operating deep inside the Sambisa forest have arrested one of the Boko Haram leaders, declared wanted by the military.
According to him, the suspect was arrested at about 1.35 p.m. on Friday by troops of 143 Battalion.
He said the suspect was moved to 28 Task Force Brigade Headquarters for further investigation.
Usman said troops of 21 Brigade have intensified clearance operations at Yerimari, while troops of 22 Task Force Brigade Garrison have also embarked on patrols along Dikwa–Mafa-Maiduguri road.
He said the same unit in conjunction with some elements of 112 Task Force Battalion, conducted a fighting patrol along Dikwa-Gulumba Gana road.
The Army spokesman said the patrol team had earlier intercepted 31 Internally Displaced Persons, IDPs, including women and children coming …Read More
Source:: Nigerian Pilot