The Women, Youth and Persons with Disabilities ministry has called for action against gender-based violence (GBV) perpetrators, following a sharp increase in dockets opened for investigation.
This comes after police minister Bheki Cele said that a whopping 87,000 incidents of GBV were reported since the 21-day national lockdown came into effect on Friday, 27 March.
Cele made the announcement as he spoke on behalf of the Coronavirus Command Council last week.
Deputy minister Professor Hlengiwe Mkhize said the rise in incidents during the first week of the lockdown was “unacceptable”.
Mkhize further expressed anger and disappointment in the “toxic patriarchal mindset” which seemed unstoppable despite the nation walking in the shadow of “deadly disaster”.
“Women are carrying the double burden of fighting the spread of virus infections and attacks by perpetrators of gender-based violence.”
She also agreed with the Progressive Women’s Movement of SA…
Source: Linda Ikeji