No plans to send 120,000 troops to counter Iran threat – Trump

0
47


 

No plans to send 120,000 troops to counter Iran Threat

U.S. President Donald Trump dismissed as “fake news” a report in The New York Times that said the White House is reviewing plans to possibly deploy up to 120,000 troops to the Middle East should Iran attack U.S. forces or accelerate work on nuclear weapons.

“I think it’s fake news, OK? Now, would I do that? Absolutely. But we have not planned for that,” Trump told reporters on May 14 on the White House lawn.

“Hopefully, we’re not going to have to plan for that. And if we did that, we’d send a hell of a lot more troops than that,” he added.

Citing anonymous administration officials,The New York Times said on May 13 that acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan presented the plans at a meeting of Trump’s top security aides last week.

Several plans were detailed and “the uppermost option called for deploying 120,000 troops, which would take weeks or months to complete,” according to The New York…



Source: News Agency of Nigeria