General Abdulsalami Abubakar
The National Peace Committee for the 2015 General Elections headed by former Head of State, Lt. Gen. Abdusalami Abubakar (retired) denied insinuations in the media that former president, Goodluck Jonathan had reported his successor; President Muhammadu Buhari to it over the latter’s ongoing war against corruption.
The Committee however said the war against corruption should be fought in a fair manner since the country is no longer under military rule.
There have been speculations that the former President who met with his successor may have reported Buhari to the Committee which played a crucial role in ensuring that he accepted the result of the 2015 presidential election over alleged witch-hunting of officials of his administration in the ongoing war against graft.
The speculation further gained currency with late night meetings of former President Olusegun Obasanjo and Jonathan himself with Buhari last week.
The speculation was that the visits to Buhari was designed to appeal to him to give soft landing to Jonathan’s officials currently under the searchlight of the anti graft agencies.
But Catholic Bishop of Sokoto, Bishop Matthew Kukah, a member of the Committee who spoke with State House correspondents at the end of the closed-door meeting held inside the Presidential Villa, Abuja on Tuesday said the former President has not sought the intervention of the Committee to stop the probe of his administration.
“Anybody is free to come to our committee but President Jonathan never by telephone or used another means talk to the committee. We went to see him, but that is after we had already seen members of the political parties, members of the civil society, we planned to see the speaker because we couldn’t see him yesterday (Monday).
“This is a very planned series of intervention essentially just to hear out everybody and I think the good news is …Read More
Source:: PM Newspaper