President Muhammadu Buhari in handshake with Archbishop of Sokoto Diocese, Matthew Kukah as he confers with Former Head of State and Chairman National Peace Committee, General Abdulsalami Abubakar accompanied by Chairman, National Conscience Party, Dr. Tanko Yinusa after meeting with the National Peace Committee at the State House in Abuja
The National Peace Committee on Tuesday dismissed reports that it was lobbied by former President Goodluck Jonathan to stop President Muhammadu Buhari from probing his administration.
Bishop Mathew Hassan Kukah, a member of the committee chaired by retired Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar, dismissed the report while answering questions from State House correspondents after the committee’s closed-door meeting with Buhari in Abuja.
According to him, though everybody is free to contact the committee to intervene in promoting peaceful coexistence in the society, the former president never talked to the committee for any form of intervention.
“Anybody is free to come to our committee, but President Jonathan never by telephone or by any other means sought to see the committee.
“We went to see him, but that was after we had already seen members of the political parties; we saw a few members of the civil society; we planned to see the speaker because we couldn’t see him yesterday.
“So this was a planned series of intervention essentially just to hear out everybody and I think the good news is that Nigerians are committed to a new nation.
“We are committed to ensuring that the gains and the blessings God has given us come to fruition. So, it was a very wonderful conversation that we had.”
He said the committee had embarked on routine consultation with relevant stakeholders with a view to ensuring stability in the country.
According to him, the committee will continue to support and cooperate with government in its fight against corruption and injustice.
He said: “Again, our own …Read More
Source:: PM Newspaper