outh Sudan President Salva Kiir arrives at the John Garang Mausoleum grounds in Juba on July 9, 2015 for celebrations as part of South Sudan’s fourth independence day (AFP Photo/Samir Bol)
Juba (AFP) – South Sudanese President Salva Kiir will attend peace talks aimed at brokering an end to civil war, reversing an earlier decision as international threats of possible sanctions mount, the government said Sunday.
However, Cabinet Minister Elia Lomuro said that while Kiir would attend the talks in neighbouring Ethiopia, it would not be possible to sign a full peace deal until all rebel factions could join the agreement.
“He is to go and explain to his colleagues the challenges that are now confronting the signing of the proposed signing of the compromise peace agreement,” Lomuro told reporters, adding Kiir would travel later on Sunday.
South Sudan’s government and rebels are under intense diplomatic pressure to sign a deal by August 17 to end a 20-month civil war in which tens of thousands of people have been killed.
Kiir previously said he would send his deputy after complaining it was not possible to strike an effective deal because rebel forces have split.
But on Sunday he decided to go himself after consultations with regional leaders, who have already arrived in Addis Ababa for the summit meeting on Monday.
“There is hope, as long as all of us want peace,” Lomuro said, after reporters asked if a deal would be signed on Monday.
South Sudan’s civil war began in December 2013 when Kiir accused his former deputy Riek Machar of planning a coup, setting off a cycle of retaliatory killings that has split the poverty-stricken, landlocked country along ethnic lines.
On Tuesday, rebel generals said they had split from Machar.
“Riek Machar has already been ousted and disowned by his own army and politicians,” Lomuro added.
“If we are to …Read More
Source:: PM Newspaper