FILE PHOTO: Fire Service operatives, residents at the scene of the fire disaster in Idimu, Lagos
Fire has razed a mechanic village in Lagos, Southwest Nigeria on Friday, burning at least 23 vehicles, 16 shops and 38 generators.
PM NEWS gathered that properties worth multi-million naira were destroyed by the inferno at the mechanic village located behind Tisco Plaza, close to Fela Shrine in Ikeja, Lagos.
The entire mechanic village was completely burnt while the fire also affected a part of Tisco Plaza.
Director, Lagos State Fire Service, Rasak Fadipe told PM NEWS that the fire started around 2:00am on Friday and raged on till the morning before it was put out by the fire servicemen who battled the fire for hours.
He disclosed that the fire was caused by a generator explosion which occurred around 2:0am, noting that, some of the mechanic workers slept in the village and on the generator which exploded.
Fadipe added that the fire affected a small part of Tisco Plaza housing a bank, LAGBUS Asset Management and others.
According to him, three fire stations from Alausa, Ikeja and Ilupeju battled the fire with each station coming with 10,000 litres of water to quell the fire.
He said the fire service men succeeded in saving another 35 vehicles from the fire and also ensured that the two-storey Tisco Plaza was not completely burnt by the fire.
“The overnight mechanic village fire destroyed 16 shops, 23 vehicles and 38 generators. It was caused by a generator explosion,” he revealed to PM News.
“We were able to save 35 other vehicles and Tisco Plaza from getting burnt. But some shops in the area were burnt. Fire servicemen from Alausa, Ikeja and Ilupeju jointly put out the fire,” he stated.
Meanwhile, tragedy struck in Ikorodu area of Lagos as a male of about 52 years old got trapped …Read More
Source:: PM Newspaper