FILE PHOTO: Muslim pilgrims gather on Mount Arafat near Mecca as they perform one of the Hajj rituals on October 3, 2014 (AFP Photo/Mohammed al-Shaikh)
Five pilgrims from Gombe State have been declared missing in Saudi Arabia, the Executive Secretary, Gombe State Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board, Alhaji Usman Gurama told newsmen in Mina, Saudi Arabia, on Saturday that the pilgrims could not be located since Thursday.
He said that members of the medical team had been checking hospitals and mortuaries with a view to locating them or their remains.
He however said that for now, it had not been confirmed as to whether they were among those who died as a result of Thursday’s incident at the Jamrat (stone throwing venue) where over 700 pilgrims died.
Gurama confirmed that seven pilgrims from the state were injured at the scene of the incident and were responding to treatment.
Meanwhile, Governor Ibrahim Dankwambo of Gombe on Saturday gave the state pilgrims 585,300 (about N32.7 million) as Sallah gift.
Saudi emergency personnel and Hajj pilgrims stand near bodies covered in sheets where at least 450 were killed and hundreds wounded in a stampede in Mina, near the holy city of Mecca, at the annual hajj in Saudi Arabia on September 24, 2015 (AFP Photo/)
NAN reports that each of pilgrims had 300 Saudi Riyals (N16,800).
Addressing the pilgrims shortly after presenting the gift, Dankwambo urged them to pray for President Muhammad Buhari to enable him deliver the dividends of democracy.
He commended the State Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board and the Amirul Hajj team for doing a good job.
In his remarks, the State Amirul Hajj, Alhaji Abdullahi Mai-Kano, thanked the governor for his commitment towards ensuring the success of the exercise.
He also commended the pilgrims for their cooperation, adding that investigations on the missing pilgrims were in progress. …Read More
Source:: PM Newspaper