At least one person has been killed – unconfirmed reports say the toll may be higher
Six people were killed in a shooting Friday at a shopping centre in Munich, Germany, leading police to ask city residents to remain indoors as a manhunt continues for the perpetrators.
Munich police spokesman Peter Beck told the Associated Press that six people were killed in the shooting, which took place at a McDonald’s restaurant. Witnesses said there were three people with firearms, according to a statement on the Munich police Facebook page. “We believe we are dealing with a shooting rampage,” police said according to Reuters. The AP reports police are using “suspected terrorism” in relation to the mall attack.
Footage showed dozens of emergency vehicles outside the shopping center and German media reports said the city’s transit system has been shut down following the shooting. The U.S. State Department warned Americans abroad to “shelter in place.” President Obama and the White House are aware of the situation and pledged to Germany “all the support that they may need” in the investigation.
Earlier this week, a teenager armed with a knife and an axe attacked passengers on a train near Würzburg, Germany. Officials treated that incident as the first ISIS attack in Germany.
Source:: PM Newspaper