The FIFA corruption scandal escalated Thursday as one suspect told of World Cup bribes and another promised to reveal an \u201cavalanche\u201d of secrets, including about FIFA president Sepp Blatter.\r\nThe storm spread around the globe with South African police opening an investigation into claims that money was paid to secure the 2010 World Cup.\r\nPolice are also looking into Australia\u2019s bid for the 2022 World Cup, while in Venezuela investigators raided the country\u2019s football headquarters looking for evidence against a FIFA official held in the scandal.\r\nFollowing the shock resignation of Blatter on Tuesday, focus has shifted to the US investigation which led to seven FIFA officials being arrested last week in Zurich.\r\nEvidence given by ailing whistleblower Chuck Blazer to US investigators told of attempts to buy the 1998 and 2010 World Cups hosted by France and South Africa respectively.\r\nNow battling cancer in hospital, the disgraced former North American football supremo said in testimony released by prosecutors that FIFA executives conspired to accept bribes during bidding for the 1998 and 2010 events.\r\nBlazer saw bribe given \u2013\r\nBlazer has admitted to charges related to his leadership of the North and Central American body CONCACAF and membership of FIFA\u2019s executive committee.\r\nUnder a plea deal with US prosecutors, the 70-year-old wore a hidden microphone and recorded conversations with other FIFA officials. None of the other suspects are named.\r\n\u201cAmong other things, I agreed with other persons in or around 1992 to facilitate the acceptance of a bribe in conjunction with the selection of the host nation for the 1998 World Cup,\u201d Blazer said in his plea.\r\nFrance beat Morocco in the bidding to stage that tournament. A document detailing the charges says that Blazer was present when a co-conspirator accepted a bribe in Morocco.\r\nA former head of France\u2019s 1998 bid committee, Jacques Lambert, insisted \u201cno irregularities\u201d were committed by its officials.\r\nLambert said he had been told that disgraced official Jack Warner promised to back France\u2019s bid but voted for Morocco.\r\nBlazer went on to admit that he and \u201cothers on the FIFA executive committee\u201d agreed to accept bribes in conjunction with the selection of South Africa to host the World Cup in 2010.\r\nSouth African officials have angrily denied allegations by US investigators that they paid $10 million (8.9 million euros) in bribes in 2008 to secure the rights.\r\nThe money allegedly went to Warner, a former FIFA vice-president and another former CONCACAF head. He was suspended by the world body in 2011 for corruption.\r\nWarner promised Wednesday in his native Trinidad and Tobago to tell an \u201cavalanche\u201d of secrets.\r\n\u201cI reasonably and surely fear for my life,\u201d he declared in a paid political broadcast and later added that \u201cnot even death will stop the avalanche that is coming.\u201d\r\nWarner said he had a file which \u201cdeals with my knowledge of international transactions at FIFA, including its president Mr Sepp Blatter\u201d and \u201cTrinidad and Tobago\u2019s prime minister.\u201d\r\n\u2013 Caracas raid \u2013\r\nReports say US investigators believe FIFA secretary-general Jerome Valcke authorized the transfer. But Valcke, who was effectively Blatter\u2019s right-hand man, insists that he had nothing to do with it.\r\nWarner is one of 14 football officials and sports marketing officials charged over more than $150 million in bribes.\r\nA special South African police unit, the Hawks, said Thursday it was looking into the bribery claims following a request from an opposition party. It stressed that no formal investigation had been launched.\r\nVenezuelan prosecutors raided the headquarters of the country\u2019s football federation, whose leader Rafael Esquivel is one of seven FIFA officials held in Switzerland.\r\nThe prosecutors also said in a statement that they have banned Esquivel from disposing of his assets.\r\nIn parallel to the US inquiry, Swiss prosecutors are looking into the award of the 2018 and 2022 World Cup tournaments to Russia and Qatar.\r\nAustralian police said they were now looking into corruption claims around Australia\u2019s failed 2022 bid, with Football Federation Australia chairman Frank Lowy saying FIFA\u2019s handling of the tournament was \u201cnot clean\u201d.\r\nAmid doubts after Blatter\u2019s resignation, the Asian Football Confederation strongly backed Qatar\u2019s big-spending preparations for 2022.\r\n\u201cThe whole Asian football community stands with Qatar,\u201d said an AFC statement.