How we spent N1bn — Edo govt

86


World Press Day: Obaseki tasks journalists on ethics, facts-based reportage amid COVID-19
Gov Godwin Obaseki

…Says it built isolation centres, procured 6 dialysis machines, 10,000 PPE, others

…Denies releasing photograph of fleeing patient

By Ozioruva Aliu

Deputy Governor of Edo State, Mr. Philip Shaibu, has given a breakdown of how the state spent over N1billion in its response to coronavirus (COVID-19) disease now ravaging the world.

Shaibu, who also serves as chairman of the state’s COVID-19 response technical committee, said the money was spent on medical equipment, isolation centres, PPEs, and palliatives.

Governor Godwin Obaseki had, on April 19, said the state had already spent over N1billion on its COVID-19 response but this drew a lot of backlash on and off social media.

However, speaking with Osasu Igbinedion on The Osasu Show, on television, Shaibu said: “The over N1 billion that is becoming a controversy is crazy because, for instance, we have two new isolation centres that have been built, we have a 30-bed new isolation centre in Stella Obasanjo…



Source: Vanguard Newspaper