1-year-old baby burnt to death in Calabar

174


Cross River

A one year old baby has been burnt to death in Calabar as a result of candle light fire in a thatched house.

The incident happened at Eta Agbor area of Calabar Municipality on Oct. 9.

When the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) visited the area, it was observed that the thatched house was completely burnt down.

Mother of the child, Ms Glory Etim-Akpan, 19, told NAN that her child was sick, and so she went out to a pharmacy in the area to buy drugs and pampers for her.

Etim-Akpan said she left the child, a baby girl, Kate Dickson, at home sleeping, while the candle light was burning.

“My baby was having cough and catarrh, so I went out to buy drugs for her and pampers. Before leaving the house, I lighted a candle on top of a metal plate in the room.

“I didnt even get to the pharmacy when I received a call that our house was on fire. It was not up to 30 minutes that I left the house.

“Neighbours around heard my baby crying, but they couldn’t intervene. When I came back, we broke the…



Source: Vanguard Newspaper